Oct 18, 2017

Quilling Paper Peacock Earrings

quilling paper peacock earring jewelry

Ever since Honey of Honey's Quilling blogged about Paper Peacock Jewelry around the world, it's been on the back of my mind to make a pair for a friend who loves peacocks. 



quilling paper peacock earring jewelry

I wanted to experiment with Aleene's Paper Glaze (left) and Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (right). 
Both gave good results. I found the Paper Glaze retained the color of the paper better, while the Magic tends to deepen the color.

quilling paper peacock earring jewelry

Both tend to make bubbles very easily so I had to pop them using my quilling needle. 

quilling paper peacock earring jewelry

I chose to use the Dimensional Magic because I wanted the dark blue to pop out from the other colors. It comes out cloudy, then dries clear.

I also called the company to find out more about their product. Although it's water-based and non-toxic, it's still not cleared for someone like me who deals with eczema skin issues. Since the area I was covering was being encircled by several rings of paper, I felt it would be safe to give to my friend. So the rest of the paper has been left uncoated in any way.


quilling paper peacock earring jewelry


Instead of using standard quilling paper for the green and gold outline, I decided to use Stardream Metallic cardstock, which has a hefty weight of 285 g/m (or 105 lb), to reduce the amount of loops required. Instead of having to make a 4-ply teardrop, I was able to make the following earring with just 2-ply. 

After softening the strip, I folded it in half. Tuck one end into the fold and apply a dot of glue, then hold until secure.

quilling paper peacock earring jewelry

Add glue along the remaining part of the strip, then section by section, press the two layers together.

quilling paper peacock earring jewelry

If you'd like to give it a try, I made a pattern with measurements for you to download the PDF here. 

I'd love to hear what you think of these earrings in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Thank you a million times until you are better paid. I am looking forward to making these. Perfect!!
    XO April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, April, you paid me in a million wide smile! Thank you!!!
      Can't wait to see yours!!!
      Cecelia

      Delete