Aug 3, 2014

Die Cut Star for Birthday Gift Topper


So I bought a birthday card. GASP! I know, I know. You have to cut me some slack though, as we've been ripping out carpet to install wood flooring. Besides, the card was about aliens and have glow in the dark sticker eyeballs for him to play with, a great compliment to our headlamp gift.

Anyway, as I went to write our nephew our birthday wishes, ink came splooshing out of my Sharpie marker. Why? Because I read that if you have a dry marker, let it soak up rubbing alcohol and it'll be revitalized. Well it was so full of life it couldn't wait to leave it's mark.


Silhouette to the rescue! I grabbed some metallic silver vinyl and cut out the first letter of his name. I then added some more vinyl stars around the card to make it look on purpose.


Of course since my beloved cutter was already on, and I needed a bow to top off the wrapped present, I decided to make the star G much larger, in the form of a tent card.


Adding rectangles to the bottom and overlapping the top and bottom star points, it allowed me to connect all the tent card pieces together and quickly add this on top of his gift, a great foreshadowing of what's inside.


It was supposed to be a quick gift wrap session and let me get back to "home-work", but happy accidents like this make me grateful I was delayed.

4 comments:

  1. So cool, your cutter must be awesome! What type is it? Something I hope to have one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Honey, I do prize it above any other tool in my craft room. It's called a Silhouette SD, but it's been replaced by the Cameo now. There are other cutters that can cut thicker and larger items but in general it's a pretty good workhorse for me. I suggest reading up on forums to know all the brands and capabilities out there first.

      Delete