Jan 4, 2010

Quilled Jade





A special gift for a special girl.
The frame is a 9x9" shadow box from Ikea. The "jade" letters are outlined and printed on a sheet of card. I cut it out from it's background and filled the insides with flowers and swirls. I then put folded posts underneath to raise it .5" high, and glued on polka dot patterned scrapbook paper.
The background swirl was glued in place after the letters were set. I think the one swirl that was allowed to come forward to brush the "j" adds to the depth. Of course the cherry on top of the cupcake is the pièce de résistance.

10 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! Your style is so light, airy, and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's my largest piece to date and took the longest to finish, but certainly was worth the patience :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that, like me, you are inspired by the work of Yulia Brodskaya. Her creations are beautiful - and so are yours! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what are the 'folded posts' that you put underneath?
    a pleasure to learn from someone so gifted. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jezebelle, thanks! I cut strips of .5" width and creased them in a zig zag to support the letters from below. I wanted it to take up as little space as possible in case anyone peered from the side. Cecelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you frame them? Is there glass in the front to protect from dust? Jut beauiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! Yes it is behind glass but since it's so reflective, I temporarily removed it just to take a nice picture.

      Delete
  7. How clever of you!! I love the idea of printing it cutting it and raising it on posts. This is so Kate Spade stylish, very pretty and easy breezy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Rochelle! I'm so glad you enjoyed my ideas and project. I hope you're able to incorporate some of these methods in your own quilling.

      Cecelia

      Delete